Are you ready for a deep dive into the latest legislative changes and trends affecting your investments? Today on The Apartment Dealer Show, we continue our recent video interview with Mike Brennan, a seasoned expert in California’s rental housing regulations. In this short video, Mike reveals essential information that every landlord and investor should know. I highly recommend you watch it to unlock a wealth of valuable insights.
In this exclusive interview, Mike delves into the legislative landscape, shedding light on both newly passed laws and trends that could reshape the multi-family residential real estate market. The overarching theme is a gradual erosion of landlords’ rights and increased complexities in the real estate industry. With these legislative changes, your investment strategy must adapt to protect your interests.
Here are some key takeaways:
1. Assembly Bill 12: Will limit security deposits to one month’s rent, regardless of whether the unit is furnished or not. Learn how this change might impact your tenant selection strategies.
2. Assembly Bill 548: This law gives inspectors more authority, allowing them to inspect multiple units within your property, even if a complaint pertains to a single unit. Find out what this means for your responsibilities as a landlord.
3. Assembly Bill 1317: Effective for new construction with 16 units or more, unbundles parking from rent, potentially affecting your rental agreements. Discover the implications and opportunities this change brings to your property management.
4. Assembly Bill 1607: Limits the ability of landlords to evict tenants based on criminal activity. Mike explains the challenges this presents and how it may affect your tenant selection process.
5. The Right to Counsel: Local governments are now empowered to provide free legal representation to tenants in eviction cases, creating new challenges for landlords. Learn about the potential consequences and how to navigate this legal shift.
& Much More!
The interview also touches on issues related to ADUs, rent control, anti-tenant harassment laws, and tax changes that could impact the real estate landscape.
As an investor in multi-family residential properties, staying informed and proactive is essential. The future of your Financial Legacy depends on your ability to navigate these changes effectively. It’s time to arm yourself with knowledge, and this video interview is a valuable resource for doing just that.
The Brennan Law Firm